Poondu kuzhambu is one of the kuzhambu I make regularly at home. Adding garlic in the food reduces cholesterol in our body. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and improves insulin sensitivity and reduces the the risk of type-2 diabetes. Here is he recipe which I use to make poondu kuzhambu at home.
Poondu / Garlic Kuzhambu
- Small Onions - 20
- Garlic Cloves - 20
- Tomatoes - 2
- Tamarind - A small lemon sized
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Sambar Powder - 1 tsp.
- Gingelly Oil - 3 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Ured Dhal - ½ tsp.
- Channa Dhal - ½ tsp.
- Curry Leaves - A handful
- Salt - 1 tsp. or as needed
- Soak tamarind in warm water and take tamarind juice and keep aside.
- Peel and remove the skin of small onions and garlic and keep aside.
- Chop the tomatoes finely and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add ured dhal and channa dhal and fry for a minute.
- Now add the peeled small onions and garlic and fry till raw smell goes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till it becomes soft.
- Now add the tamarind juice, 1 cup of water, turmeric powder, salt and sambar powder and boil for 5 minutes.
- Now keep in medium flame and cook till the kuzhambu is thick.
- Garnish with curry leaves and serve hot with hot rice.