Curry leaves is one of the common seasoning we add to most of the dishes to enhance the flavor of the dish. Curry leaves have a lot of health benefits. Without eating curry leaves we just throw them away. Curry leaves are a rich source of iron and folic acid. Curry leaves lower your blood sugar levels by affecting the insulin activity and the presence of fiber in the leaves plays a significant role in controlling your blood sugar levels. Curry leaves prevent the oxidation of cholesterol as it is packed with antioxidants. This in turn increases the amount of good cholesterol (HDL). It also prevents greying of hair and strengthens the hair.
I have made curry leaves powder which can be taken with hot steamed rice with 1 teaspoon of oil.
Kariveppilai Podi / Curry Leaves Powder
- Curry Leaves - 2 cups
- Mustard Seeds - ½ tsp.
- Ured dhal - 1 tsp.
- Channa Dhal - 1 tsp.
- Oil - 2 tsp.
- Red Chillies - 12 to 15
- Dhania Seeds - 2 tsp.
- Black Pepper - 1 tsp.
- Salt - 1 tsp. or as needed
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Fry curry leaves in a pan with 1 teaspoon of oil. Fry it till it becomes crispy so that the curry leaves should be crushable with hands.
- Make tamarind into small pieces and fry it till it becomes dry and crispy
- Fry all the remaining ingredients to a golden brown colour and let everything coo down.
- Now grind all the fried ingredients in a mixer to a coarse powder and store in an airtight container.
- Mix with hot cooked rice with a teaspoon of oil or ghee and have.