When we went to a restaurant here in Bangalore, I saw an interesting dhal which was very tasty. I thought of trying that at home and tried making that myself by asking my friends. Panchmel Dhal is a simple dhal made using five different dhals which makes it very nutritious and protein rich. This is a Rajasthani dish which uses basic ingredients which can be made very easily.
Panchmel Dhal - A Rajasthani Dish
- Channa Dhal - ¼ cup
- Whole Moong or Green Grams - ¼ cup
- Ured Dhal - ¼ cup
- Toor Dhal - ¼ cup
- Masoor Dhal - ¼ cup
- Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp.
- Salt - 1 tsp. or as needed
- Tomatoes - 2 chopped finely
- Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Green Chillies - 2
- Oil - 3 tbsp.
- Cumin Seeds - ½ tsp.
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Cloves - 3
- Red Chillies - 2
- Cumin Powder - 1 tsp.
- Red Chilli Powder - ½ tsp.
- Dhania Powder - 1 tsp.
- Garam Masala - ½ tsp.
- Coriander Leaves - a handful
- Clean and soak all the dhals together for 2 hours.
- Cook them in a pressure cooker with turmeric powder and 3 cups of water.
- In the meantime grind the ginger and green chillies into aa paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add asafoetida, cumin seeds, cloves and red chillies.
- When the cumin seeds changes colour, add ginger-green chilli paste and sauté for a minute.
- Now add cumin powder, dhania powder and red chilli powder.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté till oil separates and the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Now add the cooked dhalsand salt. If needed add some water.
- Cook for ten minutes in medium flame or till the dhals become thick by stirring in between.
- Add garam masala powder at the end and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- You can have this with chapathis or hot steamed rice.