Jackfruit seeds are very nutritious with a high source of complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber and vitamin A, C and B and minerals like zinc, calcium and phosphorus. Jackfruit seeds are good sources of thiamine and riboflavin. Both of these B vitamins help turn the food you eat into energy and keep your skin, eyes and hair healthy. Riboflavin also acts as an antioxidant, helping prevent damage to your cells from free radicals. Jackfruit seeds when cooked is very tasty and nutritious. It can be used as an alternative to potatoes.
We cook jackfruit seeds in different ways. Today I am posting a simple and tasty Jackfruit seed Roast which can be eaten with Rasam Rice or Sambar rice or even you can have as it is.
Jackfruit Seed Roast
- Jackfruit Seeds - 2 cups
- Onion - 1
- Salt - 1 tsp. or as needed
- Chilli Powder - 1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Oil - 1 tbsp.
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- If the jackfruit seeds are tender, you can remove the outer skin easily and cut into half. Otherwise pressure cook jackfruit seeds and cool them and remove the skin and cut into half.
- Cut the onions finely and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add the chopped onions and fry till thy become transparent.
- Now add the jackfruit seeds with turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and little water and cook the jackfruit seeds.
- When the water dries up, keep in simmer and fry till the seeds are roasted nicely.
- Remove from flame and serve as a side dish with rice and sambar or rasam.