Have you ever tried making veppilai katti? It is a simple and easy to make dry pickle which are made using lemon leaves, citron leaves and curry leaves. It is not prepared from neam leaves as the name vepillai suggests. It is a spicy and tangy ball which can be had with curd rice. This is a no oil recipe and the ingredients used are raw which makes it more healthy.
Some of the benefits of lemon leaves are:
- Lemon leaf has sedative and antispasmodic properties.
- It helps to reduce body heat.
- The lemon leaves can be used to treat nerve disorders like insomnia, nervousness and palpitation.
Veppilai Katti / Lemon, Citron Leaves Pickle
- Lemon Leaves - 1 ½ cups
- Citron Leaves - 2 tbsp.
- Curry Leaves - a few
- Red Chillies - 8 to 10
- Ajwain / Omam - 1 tsp.
- Lemon juice - from 1 lime
- Or Tamarind - small lemon sized
- Salt - as needed
- Asafoetida - ½ tsp.
- Clean and wash the lemon and citron leaves and pat dry and remove the stems and veins from them.
- In a pan, dry roast red chillies for a minute.
- Now grind asafetida, chillies and ajwain to a coarse powder in a mixie without adding water and keep aside.
- Now grind the leaves and required salt and if you are using tamarind, grind the tamarind also coarsely.
- Combine everything and mix well. If you are using lemon juice, add lemon juice now and mix well.
- Now make small balls and let it dry.
- Now you can preserve them and use as a pickle.