We use banana flower for making Banana Flower Paruppu usili, Banana Flower Vadai, etc. But I have used banana flower to make tasty chutney or thuvaiyal which goes well with steamed rice, dosa or idlies.
Banana flower is rich in fiber and iron which helps in the improvement of hemoglobin count and it is also good for diabetic patients. It also helps in treating menstrual problems and uterus problems in women. A cup of cooked banana flowers can help deal with PMS issues. Banana flowers possess the Vitamin C, A, E, fiber and potassium which are the sources of healthy nutrient. Since they contain magnesium, banana flowers reduce anxiety and boost the mood. They are natural anti-depressants without any side effects.
Vazhaipoo Thuvaiyal / Banana Flower Chutney
- Banana Flower - 1
- Channa Dhal - 1 tbsp.
- Ured Dhal - 1 tbsp.
- Tamarind - small lemon sized
- Red Chillies - 4
- Grated Coconut - ½ cup
- Oil - 3 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Curry Leaves - a handful
- Salt - as needed or 1½ tsp.
- Asafetida - ¼ tsp.
- Clean the banana flower and remove the inner stem and chop finely and keep immersed in buttermilk till you use.
- In a pan heat 2 tsp. of oil and add ured dhal, channa dhal, asafetida, tamarind and red chilles and fry till they become red and remove and keep aside.
- In the same pan, fry the chopped banana flower till they are cooked well and let them cool down.
- Now grind the the dhal mixture first and then add the cooked banana flower, grated coconut and salt and grind to a smooth paste.
- In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add the curry leaves and fry for aminute and add it to the thuvaiyal.
- Serve this thuvaiyal with hot steamed rice, idly or dosa.