Jackfruit is available in mid-March to May and is a very healthy super food. Tender raw jackfruit is the one which is small and lots of health benefits. It has low Glycemic Index and is very good for people with diabetics. Clinical trials conducted at Sydney University’s Glycemic Index Research Service (SUGiRS) have found that raw jackfruit has a much lower glycemic load (increase in sugar/blood glucose level) than rice and wheat. It has high dietary fiber mainly insoluble fiber and so it helps to reduce weight. Jackfruit is low in sodium, cholesterol, and saturated fats. It is a rich source of vitamins A, C, riboflavin, niacin, thiamine, and folate. It also contains important minerals like magnesium, calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorous, copper, zinc, manganese, and selenium.
Idichakka Thoran / Raw Jackfruit Curry
- Idichakka / Small Tender Raw Jackfruit - 1
- Grated Coconut - ½ cup
- Green Chilles - 1 or 2
- Salt - as needed or 1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder - a pinch
- Coconut Oil - tsps.
- Musatard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Red Chillies - 2
- Ured Dhal - 1 tsp.
- Curry Leaves - a handful
- Take a newspaper and spread on the table where you want to clean the raw jackfruit.
- Take oil and spread it in your hands and the knife you are going to use.
- Now cut the jackfruit into half and then into another half.
- Remove the thick outer skin and take out the pieces by cutting it.
- Grind these pieces in a mixer grinder little by little to s coarse powder.
- Now cook these ina pressure cooker with turmeric powder and little water for 3 whistles.
- In the meantime, grind the grated coconut and green chillies to a coarse powder without adding water and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat coconut oil and add mustard seeds.
- When they splutter, add the ured dhal, broken red chillies and curry leaves.
- When the ured dhal turns red, add the cooked jackfruit and salt and mix well till the water is absorbed and it becomes fully dry.
- Now add the ground coconut mixture and mix well.
- Your tasty and healthy idichakka thoran is ready to be served.
- You can have this with steamed rice and Sambar.