I was recently talking to the dietitian Dr. Priyanka Bakshi of Apollo Sugar Clinic, Bangalore. She gave some tips about sugar and sweetner. I am sharing those details with you all.
Sugar is brown due to the addition of molasses during processing or may be brown following the first phase of processing before the refining process. Brown sugar containing molasses has higher water content than white sugar. 1 tablespoon of brown sugar contains 52 calories.
1 tablespoon of sugar contains 59.7 calories; in jaggery 57.45 calories and 1 tablespoon of honey contain 47.85 calories. Generally sweeteners, which are available in the market, contain zero calories.
Are you diabetic or obese ?
For a diabetic person, it is better to avoid brown sugar, white sugar, honey, jaggery, maple syrup and corn syrupas well. For non- diabetic and obese patents, honey is most preferable especially for weight loss.Occasionally a diabetic person tends to have sugar and sugar products.On a daily basis, herbal sweeteners like Stevia leaves could be preferred.
The Experts’s Advice
- These are the following tips even if you are pre-diabetic or borderline diabetic, or diabetes is part of your family, it is important to follow a diabetic diet to prevent diabetes.
- A diabetes diet should be high on fiber like millets, whole grain and oats.
- Must contain milk without cream and buttermilk.
- Fresh seasonal fruits like apple, orange, papaya, pears, and guava.
- Green vegetablessuch as peas, beans, broccoli, and spinach /leafy vegetables should be included in one’s diet.
- Also, pulses with husk and sprouts are a healthy option and should be part of the diet.
But remember to consume these components in moderation and food should be low in glycemic index. And the most important thing to do that is exercise or walking and yoga at least for 30 minutes in a day.