Chettinad cuisine is full of most aromatic and spiciest cuisine in South India. It is well known for using so many variety of spices which are used to make the dishes. This is a very interesting recipe which one of my friends taught me recently. This is very simple an easy to make. With dosas made with gram flour and then added to the spicy gravy. This is served with hot rice.
Chettinad Dosai Kuzhambu
- Cinnamon Stick - 1 inch piece
- Fennel Seeds / Sombu - 1 tsp.
- Fenugreek Seeds - ½ tsp.
- Small Onions - 1 cup peeled
- Tomatoes - 2 finely chopped
- Garlic Cloves - 6 or 7
- Red Chilli Powder - 4 tsp.
- Coriander Powder - 6 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp.
- Coconut Milk - ½ cup
- Salt - 1 tsp. or as needed
- Tamarind - 1 medium lemon sized
- Gingelly Oil - 2 tbsp.
For Making Dosa:
- Gram Flour - ¾ cup
- Fennel Seeds - ¼ tsp.
- Chilli Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Dhania Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Salt - little
- Oil - for making dosa
- Soak tamarind in hot water and take the juice and keep aside.
- In a kadai, heat oil and add cinnamon stick, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds and fry for a minute.
- Add peeled small onions and garlic and fry till raw smell goes.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and fry till it becomes soft.
- Add chilli powder, dhania powder and turmeric powder and fry by adding little water till raw smell goes and oil comes on top.
- Now add salt and tamarind water and boil for 5 minutes in low flame.
- Add little coconut milk. If you add more, the kuzhambu will become white.
- In the meantime, mix the ingredients given for making dosa except oil with water to thick dosa batter consistency.
- Make one dosa with medium thickness. You should half cook the dosas.
- Remove the dosa and immediately rool the dosa and bind with gram flour paste or the remaining dosa batter.
- Cut the rolled dosa into 1 inch pieces and add the dosas slowly into the boiling kuzhambu. Cook the dosas in the kuzhambu in medium flame.
- Do not mix the kuzhambu with the ladle. Hold the kadai with a cloth and shake it for mixing. Otherwise the dosas will break and mix with kuzhambu.
- When the gravy thickens, switch off the stove.
- Tasty Chettinad Dosai Kuzhambu is ready to serve.
- You can serve this with hot rice for lunch.
- For other kuzhambu recipes you can click here.