We usually make murukkus using rice flour. I was contemplating for a long time to make murukkus healthy. As a result, I tried using Jowar for making murukkus and it came out very well. The taste of Jowar Murukku was better than rice flour murukku and this murukku will break and you cannot get round shape. But who needs shape?
Now let us go to the recipe.
- Jowar Flour - 2 cups
- Besan or Kadalai Maavu - ½ cup
- Salt - as needed or 1 tsp.
- Ghee - 1 tbsp. for mixing with the dough
- Asafoetida Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Oil - for deep frying
- Water - for making the dough
- Take jowar flour, besan, salt and asafetida and mix well along with ghee.
- Now add water little by little to this mixture and mix to nice dough. It should not be too firm or too loose.
- You can now take a murukku press and apply oil inside the press.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- Now take some dough and place inside the murukku press and press murukkus in hot oil.
- Cook the murukkus till they turn golden brown. Turn both sides and cook and then remove themand drain in a colander.
- When cooled sore them in an airtight container and use whenever needed.