Food is an essential part of human being. Fruits and vegetables play an important role in keeping us healthy. Bitter gourd is one such vegetable which has lots of health benefits. Most of us do not like to eat bitter gourd as it has a bitter taste and pungent. All parts of bitter gourd are very useful to us. It is grown in the Indian subcontinent and parts of Asia, Africa, and South America.
Some of the benefits of using bitter gourd are:
- As most of the vegetables, bitter gourd is very low in calories and high fibre content and helps in weight loss.
- As everyone knows, bitter gourd is very good for people with diabetes. It has insulin naturally. Due to this it reduces the sugar levels in blood and urine.
- Bitter gourd has blood purifying properties and is also effective in treating skin diseases and skin infections.
- Fresh juice of bittergourd is good for patients suffering from piles.
- It has good amount of beta carotene that helps relieve eye problems and improve the vision.
- Bitter gourd is also very good for digestion and boosts resistance as because it contains cellulose which is a very good source of fiber thus preventing constipation. It also helps in stimulating the secretion of gastric juices.
- Bitter gourd juice is an excellent antioxidant. Antioxidant is essential for removing toxins from our body. It also helps to rejuvenate the body cells and prevents free radicals.
- The bitter gourd juice is the finest tonic for those who are addicted to smoking. Taking bitter gourd juice helps to cleanse the nicotine layer from the system.
- Bitter gourd leaves has anti-diabetic, anti-hyperglycaemic, anti-oxidant, anti-microbial, anti-ulcerogenic and antiviral properties against chicken pox, measles.
- Mix bitter gourd leaves paste with equal amounts of the paste of tulsi leaves. Add little honey and take this each morning as a preventive medicine for respiratory problems.
- Bitter gourd also regulates irregular menstrual cycle. You can consume it as a juice or cook it and use regularly. It helps in regulating hormonal levels of women.
How to select Bitter Gourd?
- When you are buying bitter gourds, choose fresh, bright pods with dark green colour without any cuts or blemishes on their surface.
- It should be firm to touch and the seeds should be tender for cooking. If the seeds are not tender remove them before cooking.
Different Recipes Using Bitter gourd
Bitter gourd can be cooked in many ways. You can fry them, make sambar, make vahtal, etc. Some of the recipes you can make are: