Manathakkali is a very healthy greens which my mother used to cook regularly at home. In english is known as ‘black night shade’, ‘sunberry’ and ‘wonder cherry’. Here in Bangalore, we rarely get this keerai. When I saw this keerai, I immediately bought it.
Manathakkali keerai is very good for the treatment of mouth and stomach ulcer. If you are having heat body, this keerai will reduce the body heat. It also helps in digestion of food.
Manathakkali keerai will be little bitter in taste. Here is the recipe that we follow at home.
Manathakkali Keerai Curry
- Manathakkali Keerai - 1 bunch
- Oil - 1 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds - ½ tsp.
- Ured Dhal - ½ tsp.
- Pepper Powder - 1 tsp.
- Salt - as needed
- Water - ½ cup
- Remove the leaves from manathakkali keerai and wash them well and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add the ured dhal and fry for a minute.
- Now add the manathakkali leaves, salt, pepper powder and water.
- When it boils, keep in simmer and cook till the water thickens. This keerai will take little time to cook.
- Switch off the flame and your healthy manathakkali keerai curry is ready to be served.