After all Diwali sweets and snacks, today I thought of making some healthy breakfast. So I made Kambu or Bajra kozhukkattai with tomato chutney.
Pearl millet is very powerful in controlling diabetes due to its high fiber content, it tends to digest slowly and release glucose at a slower rate as compared to other foods. It has the highest protein content for any grain. It contains several essential minerals like phosphorus, zinc, magnesium etc. It contains essential vitamins and amino acids, which contribute to its therapeutic properties.
Pearl Millet(Kambu/Bajra) Kozhukkattai
- Kambu or Bajra - 1 cup
- Carrot - 1 medium grated
- Ginger - 1 inch piece finely chopped
- Onion - 1 finely chopped
- Green Chillies - 2 finely chopped
- Salt - as needed
- Warm Water - for mixing the dough
- Oil - 2 tsps.
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Ured Dhal - 1 tsp.
- Curry Leaves - a handful
- Coriander Leaves - little
- In a pan, dry roast pearl millet (kambu) and when cooled grind to a fine powder. You can also use bajra flour.
- In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add ured dhal and fry for a minute.
- Then add curry leaves, chopped green chillies, ginger and onions and fry till raw smell goes.
- Take the kambu flour in a bowl and add the seasonings.
- Add grated carrots, salt and mix well.
- Now add little warm water and mix to form a soft and firm dough.
- Take small amount of the dough and using your hands make kozhukkattai by pressing between your hands.
- Steam the kozhukkattais in a greased plate for about 10 minutes.
- Your healthy kambu kozhukkattai is ready to serve.
- You can serve with Tomato chutney or Onion chutney.