Barnyard millet is very healthy and is good for diabetic patients and has lowest carbohydrate content and energy value from among the other millets. It also helps to accelerate weight loss. Barnyard millet is rich sources of bone-building minerals calcium and phosphorus.
Barnyard Millet / Kuthiraivali Arisi Pongal
- Moong dhal Pasi paruppu – 1/3 cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt – as needed
- Ginger – 1 inch piece cut finely
- Oil or ghee – 4 tsps.
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
- Whole pepper – 1 tsp.
- Cashew Nuts – 2 tsps. Optional
- In a cooker, dry roast the dhal till you get nice aroma.
- Now wash the dhal with barnyard millet together and add water.
- Soak for half an hour.
- Add cut ginger and salt to this.
- In a pan heat ghee and fry cashew nuts till golden and keep aside.
- In the same oil, add cumin and pepper and fry for half a minute and add to the cooker.
- Close the lid of the cooker and cook for 3 whistles.
- When cooled open the lid and add the fried cashew nuts.
- Barnyard millet pongal can be served with coconut chutney and sambar.