Today I tried making upma with Foxtail Millet or Thinai. I learnt this recipe from one of my Bangalore friend. It tastes so well and is very healthy. Including thinai in our regular diet makes us very healthy. Try out this and you will see everyone liking it.
|Thinai / Foxtail Millet||–||1 cup|
|Onion||–||1 (chopped finely)|
|Green Chillies||–||2 or 3 (Chopped finely)|
|Tomato||–||1 (Chopped finely)|
|Mustard Seeds||–||1 tsp.|
|Ured Dhal||–||1 tsp.|
|Channa Dhal||–||1 tsp.|
|Curry Leaves||–||a handful|
|Salt||–||1 tsp. or as needed|
- Soak foxtail millet for 10 minutes in 1 cup of water.
- After 10 minutes, heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add ured and channa dhals together and saute for a minute.
- Add curry leaves and fry for a second.
- Now add green chillies and fry for half a minute and the then add chopped onions and fry.
- When the onions become transparent add finely chopped tomato and fry till it becomes mushy.
- Now add 2 cups of water (as we have already used 1 cup to soak) and salt and bring it to boil.
- When it boils, add the soaked millet with water and mix well.
- Keep in simmer and close with a lid and cook till it becomes dry.
- Foxtail millet takes little time to cook.
- When cooked, switch of the stove and mix well and serve.