Kovaikkai is a very healthy vegetable and is good for diabetic people. It is a creep which can grow in fields and also in backyards. Kovaikkai consists of 1.4 mg of Iron which is 17.50% of the daily recommended value. Thiamine found in Ivy gourd also plays an important role in the manufacture of red blood cells, which are used for constant energy. I have already posted Kovaikkai curry with masala powder recipe also.
Kovaikkai / Ivy Gourd Fry
- Kovaikkai / Ivy Gourd - ¼ Kg.
- Onion - 1
- Chilly Powder - 1 tsp. or as needed
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Salt - ½ tsp. or as needed
- Oil - 1 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Ured Dhal - 1 tsp.
- Water - 1 cup
- Wash kovaikkai well and slice into thin round pieces.
- Chop the onion into fine pieces and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add the ured dhal and fry for half a minute.
- Now add finely chopped onion and fry till it becomes transparent.
- Now add the sliced kovaikkai, chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt and water and cook till the curry thickens.
- Now keep in simmer and fry in low flame till the kovaikkai is fried well.
- Switch off the stove and serve hot with rice.