This is a simple curry made with raw banana and ground spices which gives a nice aroma and taste to the curry. This curry goes well with Vathakuzhambu and Rasam. Vazhakkai is always my favourite. We make different dishes with vazhakkai and this is my favourite dish.
Vazhakkai/ Raw Banana Podi Curry
- Vazhakkai - 3 Chopped into medium pieces
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp.
- Salt - as needed
- Dhania - 2 tbsp.
- Red Chillies - 3
- Channa Dhal - 1 1/2 tbsp.
- Black Pepper - 1/4 tsp.
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp.
- Oil - 2 tsp.
- Oil - 2 tbsp.
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp.
- Ured Dhal - 1 tsp.
- Curry Leaves - a handful
- Heat a pan with 2 tsp oil, add the asafoetida, and fry for a second.
- Next add the channa dhal, and fry next add the black pepper and coriander seeds and finally the cumin seeds and dried red chilly. Fry till the dhal changes to golden brown and a nice aroma comes.
- Transfer to a plate, cool and grind to a coarse powder and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the oil for seasoning.
- Season with mustard seeds, then add the ured dhal and fry till golden, add the curry leaves and the chopped vazhakkai pieces.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Mix well, sprinkle some water and cook covered on low heat.
- Keep mixing once in a while and sprinkle more water as and when required.
- Once the vazhakkai is cooked, remove the lid, and fry for a few minutes on low heat.
- Finally add the ground powder and mix well.