This is a very good kuzhambu recipe in which we can add red thandu keerai. This greens is consumed extensively in Tamilnadu and Kerala. Overcooking spinack kills all its vitamins and calcium. It helps to reduce cholesterol. So you can use thandu keerai atleast 2 times a week to reduce cholesterol.
Red Keerai/ Red Amaranthus Kuzhambu
- Red Thandu Keerai - 1 bunch
- Onion - 1
- Tomato - 1
- Gingilly Oil or Nallennai - 2 tsps.
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Ured Dhal - 1 tsp.
- Channa Dhal - 1 tsp.
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Tamarind - Small lemon sized
- Sambar Powder - 2 tsps.
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Soak tamarind in warm water for 15 minutes and take tamarind extract.
- Wash and clean the keerai and chop into medium pieces.
- Cut the onions and tomatoes into fine pieces and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and when it is heated, add the musard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutters, add asafetida, ured and channa dhal and fry for a minute.
- Now add the chopped onions and fry till it becomes transparent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and fry till it turns soft and mushy.
- Now add the cleaned and chopped greens and add little water and cook till the greens cook well.
- Add the tamarind extract, turmeric powder and sambar powder and boil till the kuzhambu thickens.
- Serve hot with cooked rice.