Erissery is a traditional Kerala dish which is very healthy as it has black eyed beans and pumkin. Black eyed beans is rich in fiber, iron and zinc. Half a cup of black-eyed peas has only 100 calories and 1 gram of fat. So it is very good for people with diabetes and those who want to reduce weight.
Pumpkins are rich in vital antioxidants, and vitamins. It is one of the very low calorie vegetables with no saturated fats or cholesterol.
Yellow Pumpkin Erissery
- Yellow Pumpkin - 2 Cups
- Blackeyed Beans - ½ Cup
- Red Chili Powder - ¾ tsp.
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Chilli powder - ½ tsp.
- Salt - as needed
- Green Chillies - 2
- Grated Coconut - ½ cup
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Oil - 1 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Curry Leaves - a handful
- Red Chilly - 1
- Soak black eyed beans for 2 hours.
- Peel the skin and chop the yellow pumpkin into medium size pieces.
- Now pressure cook the black eyed beans and pumpkin pieces by adding turmeric powder and keep aside.
- In the meantime, grind coconut, jeera and green chillies together and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add red chilly split into two or three and curry leaves.
- Now add the cooked pumpkin and beans along with the ground paste and salt and boil for a few minutes till it becomes thick.
- Your yellow pumpkin erissery is ready to be served with hot cooked rice.
- Use coconut oil for authentic kerala flavour.
- You can use red beans also instead of white beans.