Chettinad Indian broad beans curry is a very simple and easy dish made with broad beans, garlic and little homemade Sambar Powder. As usual the flavours are very well blended like any other chettinad dish. Usually I do not like Avarekkai that much. But this preparation is very tasty.
|Avarekkai ( Indian broad beans)||–||¼ Kg.|
|Garlic||–||3 to 4 cloves (peeled and crushed)|
|Sambar Powder||–||1 tsp.|
|Sombu or Fennel Seeds||–||1 tsp.|
|Mustard Seeds||–||1 tsp.|
|Ured dhal||–||1 tsp.|
|Turmeric Powder||–||¼ tsp.|
- Wash and chop the beans into fine pieces.
- In a pan, heat oil and add the mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add the ured dhal, fennel seeds, red chilly split into two and crushed garlic cloves.
- When the garlic begins to brown, add the beans, turmeric powder, water and salt and mix well.
- Cook in high flame till the avarekkai cooks well and there is no moisture.
- Serve hot with rice and Sambar or Rasam