Chettinad Indian broad beans curry is a very simple and easy dish made with broad beans, garlic and little homemade Sambar Powder. As usual the flavours are very well blended like any other chettinad dish. Usually I do not like Avarekkai that much. But this preparation is very tasty.
Avarekkai (Indian Broad Beans) Curry Chettinad Style
- Avarekkai Indian broad beans - ¼ Kg.
- Garlic - 3 to 4 cloves peeled and crushed
- Sambar Powder - 1 tsp.
- Sombu or Fennel Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
- Ured dhal - 1 tsp.
- Red chilly - 1
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp.
- Salt - As needed
- Oil - 2 tsp.
- Water - 1 cup
- Wash and chop the beans into fine pieces.
- In a pan, heat oil and add the mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add the ured dhal, fennel seeds, red chilly split into two and crushed garlic cloves.
- When the garlic begins to brown, add the beans, turmeric powder, water and salt and mix well.
- Cook in high flame till the avarekkai cooks well and there is no moisture.
- Serve hot with rice and Sambar or Rasam