I always wanted to try and make rasagullas at home. Usually we use store bought rasagullas. One of my friend makes rasagullas very well. With her help I tried this recipe and it came out very well.
|Full cream milk||– 1 Litre|
|Lemon juice||– 3 tbsp.|
|Sugar||– 3 ½ cups|
|Ice cubes||– 12|
|Cardamom powder||– a pinch|
|Nuts||– for garnishing (Optional)|
- Heat the milk in a vessel.
- When it starts boiling, keep in slow flame and add the lemon juice and mix properly.
- Heat till the water separates and switch off the flame.
- Now add the ice cubes and mix well. Ice cubes are added to stop the curdling immediately. It prevents the paneer to become hard and makes it soft.
- Now take a metal strainer and line with cheese cloth and pour the curdled milk and strain.
- Wash it well in the running water under the tap to remove the lemon flavor.
- Then squeeze the excess water gently and hang it for 30 minutes without disturbing it.
- After 30 minutes, take out the soft paneer in a bowl which will be crumbly.
- Now knead this for 8-10 minutes gently to make it like a soft and smooth dough.
- Now make smooth equal sized small balls and keep aside.
- Heat water in a wide bottomed vessel and add sugar.
- When the sugar syrup starts to bubble, add the balls carefully one by one.
- The balls will go to the corner, move them to the middle.
- Keep in medium flame and close with a lid and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Now it will be doubled in sized. Switch off the stove and keep for 10 minutes closed.
- If you want you can now garnish with chopped nuts and cardamom powder.
- After the sugar gets dissolved fully, simmer for 5 minutes.
- You can chill the rasagullas and serve.