Azhagar Kovil is a temple situated on foot of Alagar hills North of Madurai . The main deity of this temple is called Alagar or Sundararajan. Azhagai kovil adai is a popular prasadam given in the temple. It is made of black gram and raw rice with a gist of pepper, ginger, jeera and curry leaves. Today I made this adai at home and thought of sharing this recipe.
|Raw rice||– 2 ¼ cups|
|Black gram or Karuppu Uzhudhu||– 1 cup|
|Black pepper||– 2 tsps.|
|Cumin seeds||– 2 tsps.|
|Ginger||– ¼ inch|
|Curry leaves||– a handful|
|Ghee||– for making adai|
|Salt||– as needed or 1 tsp.|
- Wash and soak raw rice and black gram and soak them for 4 hours.
- Grind rice and dhal to a thin rava consistency. Do not add more water when grinding. The batter should be little thick only. At the end add salt and mix well. Let it ferment for 4 to 5 hours.
- In a mixie jar, add fresh ginger, pepper, cumin seeds, curry leaves and grind coarsely.
- Now add crushed masala paste and mix well thoroughly.
- Heat a dosa pan and spread the batter like we make for adai dosai.
- Add ghee and cook on both the sides till golden brown.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.