Azhagar Kovil is a temple situated on foot of Alagar hills North of Madurai . The main deity of this temple is called Alagar or Sundararajan. Azhagai kovil adai is a popular prasadam given in the temple. It is made of black gram and raw rice with a gist of pepper, ginger, jeera and curry leaves. Today I made this adai at home and thought of sharing this recipe.
Azhagar Kovil Adai or Black Gram Dosai
- Raw rice - 2 ¼ cups
- Black gram or Karuppu Uzhudhu - 1 cup
- Black pepper - 2 tsps.
- Cumin seeds - 2 tsps.
- Ginger - ¼ inch
- Curry leaves - a handful
- Ghee - for making adai
- Salt - as needed or 1 tsp.
- Wash and soak raw rice and black gram and soak them for 4 hours.
- Grind rice and dhal to a thin rava consistency. Do not add more water when grinding. The batter should be little thick only. At the end add salt and mix well. Let it ferment for 4 to 5 hours.
- In a mixie jar, add fresh ginger, pepper, cumin seeds, curry leaves and grind coarsely.
- Now add crushed masala paste and mix well thoroughly.
- Heat a dosa pan and spread the batter like we make for adai dosai.
- Add ghee and cook on both the sides till golden brown.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.