Holi is a festival of colours and taste. Everyone talks about the colours and none talks about the taste of food. So, I was thinking of making some good, tasty and colourful item on the occasion of Holi. Then I thought of making apple halwa. Now I had to choose the best apples to make halwa. So, I started googling and found about Washington Apples. I ordered them and I got them to make halwa.
There are many interesting facts about Washington apples and there are 5 varieties of them – Red Delicious, Gala, Fuji, Granny Smith and Honeycrisp. Of the 5 varieties, i liked the Granny Smith very much. With the bright green colour and the tart and tangy flavor appealed to me the most. I thought of using this to make apple chutney.
Now let us go to the Apple Halwa recipe. I used the Gala apple varieties to make this halwa.
- Red apple big size – 3
- Sugar – 1 ½ cups
- Ghee – 3 tbsp.
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp.
- Orange red colour – a pinch
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Wash and clean the apples with water and then wipe it dry.
- Now, peel the skin and remove the seeds and cut into medium sized pieces.
- Grind them in a mixer ainto a fine pulp.
- In a thick bottomed pan, add one teaspoon of ghee and then fry the cashew nuts and remove them and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining ghee and then add the apple pulp.
- Fry it on medium flame till the water content in the pulp is evaporated and the pulp becomes slightly thick.
- Now add the measured sugar and food colour to the pulp and mix well.
- Stir continuously till the halwa leaves the pan.
- Now add cardamom powder and the fried cashew nuts and mix well.
- Now transfer it to a greased bowl.
- If you want you can cut into pieces when it cools down and serve.