Vazhaikkai varuval is a simple and easy recipe which we do at our home regularly. We just slice the raw bananas and mix with spices and fry in oil. The green raw banana is a good source of fiber, vitamins and minerals, and contains a starch that may help control blood sugar, manage weight and lower blood cholesterol levels. For anyone trying to avoid food with high sugar content, green bananas are an option.
Vazhaikkai Varuval or Raw Banana Fry
- Raw banana / Vazhaikkai – 2 nos.
- Chilli powder – 1½ tsp.
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp.
- Salt – as needed
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp.
- Mustard – 1 tsp.
- Oil – 3 tbsp.
- Apply 1 tsp. of oil i your hands before starting to cut raw banana otherwise your hands will turn black.
- Cut the raw bananas into thin round slices and add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and mix well and keep for 10 minutes.
- In a pan put oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Now add the masala mixed raw banana.
- Keep in a low flame and stir occasionally till it becomes golden brown and crisp.
- Do not over burn it.
- Serve as a curry for Sambar rice, Rasam rice or vathal kuzhambu rice.
- Vazhaikkai Varuval is ready.