Rava upma is a south Indian breakfast recipe. It is a simple food and it can be made in a jiffy. This is usually eaten with sugar or even you can have this with chutney. You can also try variations in this by adding vegetables to make vegetable upma or even omit the tomato and cook. I had left over bread at home. So I fried them and added to the upma.
|Rava||– 1 cup|
|Green chillies or Red chillies||– 2 to 3(Cut inot long pieces)|
|Big onion||– 1 (Cut into small pieces)|
|Tomato||– 1 (Cut finely)|
|Water||– 2 cups|
|Bread Slices||– 2 (optional)|
|Salt||– as needed or 1 tsp.|
|Oil||– 2 tsps.|
|Mustard||– 1 tsp.|
|Ured dhal||– 1 tsp.|
|Channa dhal||– 1 tsp.|
|Curry leaves||– a handful|
- Roast rava in a pan till golden brown using a tsp. of oil keeping in medium flame.
- In a pan, take oil and season with mustard, ured and channa dhal.
- Add curry leaves and fry for ½ a minute.
- Now add green chillies and fry for a minute.
- Add onions and fry till it becomes transparent.
- Add tomato and fry till it becomes mushy.
- At this time, add water and salt and allow it to boil.
- When it starts boiling, add the roasted rava and mix well vigorously without forming lumps.
- Keep closed in simmer and cook till water gets absorbed and switch off the stove.
- Cut the bread pieces to 1 inch cube.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the cut bread pieces.
- Add the fried bread pieces to the upma and mix well.
- You can serve the Rava Upma with sugar or any chutney.