An vadai is a special traditional dish that is made during Bhogi festival. This vadai is made of toor dhal, ured dhal and channa dhal with some spices. This vadai is called ama vadai because, the outer covering looks like tortoise (aamai) as it is hard. It is also called as mupparuppu vadai as it has three types of dhals. Here we do not use onion in this recipe.
|Toor Dhal||– 1 cup|
|Ured Dhal||– ½ cup|
|Channa Dhal||– ½ cup|
|Red chillies||– 4 or 5|
|Green chillies||– 4|
|Salt||– as needed or 2 tsps.|
|Ginger||– 1 inch piece|
|Curry leaves||– a handful|
|Coriander leaves||– a handful|
|Grated coconut||– ¼ cup (optional)|
- Soak toor dhal and ured dhal together.
- Soak channa dhal separately.
- Chop ginger finely and keep aside.
- After 3 hours, grind the soaked toor and ured dhal with red chillies, green chillies and salt to a coarse paste by adding little water. Do not grind to a smooth paste.
- Now take the ground mixture in a vessel and mix the soaked channa dhal.
- Add the chopped ginger, chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves and mix well.
- Now add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan and when theoil gets heated, take small amount of the paste and flatten it on agreased plastic sheet or plantain leaf and slowly put them in the oil.
- Cook till it becomes reddish brown in colour.