Vada curry is a special dish which is a speciality of Chennai Hotels. I tasted it first in Hotel Vasantha Bhavan in Chennai. Then I became a fan of Vada Curry. It is a good combination for set dosai, Idly, dosa and idyappam also. Then slowly I learnt making vada curry at home and now a days it is a regular dish on Sundays or any holidays.
For Making the vada curry we should make the vadas like masal vadas and then crumble the vadas and add them in the masala gravy. If you are health conscious you can also steam the vadas and add them in the masala gravy. But the taste is good only when you fry the vadas in oil.
I have already given the procedure for making Masal Vadas. I will now give theprocedure for making vada curry now.
Vada Curry - A Famous Chennai Dish
- Onions - 2 medium
- Green chilies - 2 medium
- Garlic - 4 cloves Grated
- Ginger - 2" Grated
For the kuzhambu
- Tomato - 2 medium
- Bay leaf - 1 long
- Cloves - 2
- Cinnamon - 2"
- Fennel Seeds - ¼ tsp.
- Cumin Seeds - ¼ tsp.
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - 2 tsp.
- Coconut Milk - ¾ cup Optional
- Red chili powder - ½ tsp.
- Dhania powder - ½ tsp.
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Coriander leaves - for garnishing
- Make masal vadas and keep aside and let it cool.
- When the vadas are cooled crush them and keep aside.
- Grind onions, green chilies, ginger and garlic to coarse paste and keep aside.
- Cut the tomatoes finely and keep aside.
- Heat a pan and add 1 tsp oil.
- Once the oil is hot add bay leaf, clove and cinnamon and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now add the coarse masala, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and fry for 5 minutes until the onions starts to turn colour and the raw smell of the masala goes away.
- Now add the cut tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, salt and fry for 5 minutes in medium flame or till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Now add required water (2 cups), crushed vadas and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Then bring the gravy to boil.
- When it boils, add coconut milk and add finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Again simmer the masala gravy for 5 minutes and switch off the flame.
- The gravy should be thicker with the vadas absorbing the gravy.
- Serve hot with Set Dosa. Set Dosa and vada curry is a very good combination.