Peanuts is one of my all-time favourite. I like peanuts in whatever form it may be. So when I heard that we can make chutney using peanuts, I thought it will be a good idea. This is a Maharashrian Chuney and it is in a powdery form. It goes well with curd rice and you can even add peanut chutney in a sandwich by sprinkling little over the cheese. You can also add this to any other curry so that it will enhance the flavor of the curry. you can also serve it with rotis and parathas.
Maharashtrian Peanut (Shengdana) Chutney
- Raw Peanuts - 2 cups heaped
- Red chillies - 12 to 13
- Garlic - 15 pieces
- Cumin seeds - 2 tsp. dry fired in a pan
- Salt - as needed or 1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp.
- Take a pan and dry fry the measured peanuts in medium flame till the peanuts are fried well. It took for about 25 minutes for me. Stri frequently.
- Take the peanuts and cool them by keeping in a plate.
- After the peanuts are cooled, take them in your hands and rub them between your palms so that the skin comes off from the peanuts.
- Now, keep the plate near the sink and blow slowly so that the skin flies off into the sink. If it falls in the floor, it will be very messy to clean it up.
- Now take the peanuts without sin and add it in the mixie. Add the red chillies, raw garlic, turmeric powder and dry fried cumin seeds with salt and grind to a coarse powder. Grind little by little otherwise the peanuts will leave oil and it will become clumpy.
- Your maharashrian peanut chutney is ready.