We all make the same old breakfast each and every day. As I was feelingbored by making same old breakfast, I tried making instant idly with poha and idly rava. One of my friends told me about this and I tried it immediately. It came out very well.
If we do not have stock of idly batter at home, we can make this idly in just a matter of time. If suddenly guests come to home also we can make this very easily and serve them. This idly will be little bland in taste. You can have this idly with some spicy chutney.
|Rice Rava or Idly Rava||– 1 ½ cup|
|Aval or Poha (Thin variety)||– 1 cup|
|Sour curd||– 1 cup|
|Water||– around 2 cups|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Oil (preferably gingilly oil)||– for greasing the idly plates|
- Wash and soak poha in water for 3 minutes .
- After 3 minutes it will become very soft as it is of thin variety.
- Now add rice rava and salt to it with curd and some more water.
- Mix and allow to sit for 10 minutes. If you want you can add little baking soda. I did not add baking soda.
- After 10 minutes, you can see that the poha and rice rava will drink in all the liquid content. So you have to add water as required and get the idly batter consistency.
- Your instant idly batter is ready. There is no need of fermentation.
- Heat water in a idly steamer.
- Grease idly plates with 1 tsp. of oil .Pour the batter into idly stand.
- Steam for 12-15 mins on medium flame. Insert the back of the spoon in the idly.
- If it comes clean, then the idly is cooked properly.
- Remove the plates and allow it to cool.
- After 10 minutes remove the idly from the plates using a spoon or knife.
- Your soft, spongy, instant idly is ready to be served.
- You can serve with chutney, sambar or idly podi.
- If you want, you can season with mustard, finely cut green chillies and onions in oil and add to the idly batter and add it to the idly batter and make idlies.