Vazhaipoo is the tamil name for banana flower. It is also known as banana blossom or banana heart. Banana flowers are edible ,highly nutritious, slightly bitter and starchy taste. The florets of the banana flowers need to be cleaned well before they are cooked as a vegetable . I am giving the procedure for cleaning the banana flower here.
How to Clean Banana Flower or Vazhaipoo ?
- Before starting to clean, take some newspapers and spread it in the floor.
- Take ½ cup of oil and keep near the paper.
- Apply some oil in your hands before you start cleaning.
- Remove the outer 3 or 4 red petals of the banana flower and do not use it.
- Now remove the remaining banana petals. You will find a bunch of pale yellow florets inside each petal. Remove these florets and collect it.
- Peel off the petals until it gets difficult to remove the petal.
- At this stage, the petals will be soft and white in color and there will not be any stamen to remove. So you can directly chop it finely.
- Now pluck the hard stamen or kallan from the collected florets.. They will be too hard and bitter if cooked.
- Once you have removed the stamen, chop the florets finely.
- Soak the chopped florets in buttermilk mixed with salt.
- This will prevent discoloration of the chopped florets caused by oxidation.
- Strain using a big colander and use it for any of your favorite recipes.