Green chilly which is the one among the best to bring spicy taste to the food. Green chilies add a unique flavor and taste to meals. Capsaicin is the chemical compound that makes chillies taste hot; most of the people will eat chilies in raw, fried or roasted form along with salads and as a side dish in the main meals. Green chillies are low in calories, virtually fat-free and rich in nutrients that can enhance your health, including vitamins A, C and K.
In the summer, one of my North Indian friend gave me green chilly pickle. It was very nice and my son liked it very much. So after it got over, I got the recipe from her and tried making it. It came out very well. Today I will post how I made green chilly pickle at home.
Green Chilly Pickle – North Indian Style
- Green chillies – 250 g.
- Mustard seeds – 2 tbsp.
- Salt – 1 tbsp.
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp.
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp.
- Garam masala – ½ tsp.
- Lemon – 2 or 2 tbsp. juice
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Wash and clean green chillies, dry with a cloth and keep aside.
- Now, break their stems then cut them into small pieces.
- Keep chilly pieces in a bowl and add salt, turmeric powder and lemon juice and mix well.
- Cover the bowl and leave aside for the whole day.
- After 5 to 6 hours, mix the chilly pices well with a spoon.
- For preparing the spices, put cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds on a hot pan and roast them gently.
- Add the asafoetida and turn off the gas.
- Put mustard seeds, Jeera, Methi and asafoetida in a mixer and make a fine powder.
- Take out the spice powder in a bowl and mix salt and turmeric powder and garam masala powder. Mix well using a spoon.
- Put this spice powder over the bowl filled with chillies, pour oil and stir well with a spoon. All ingredients should mix properly.
- For 2 to 3 days, you can cover the stuffed chillies with a thin cloth and keep it in the sun and if there is no sun then keep it in the room in a bowl.
- Green Chilly Pickle will be ready after 3-4 days.
- Store it in an airtight pickle container.
- You can store these pickles for about a month.
- If you want to increase its shelf life then soak the pickle in lemon juice or oil and enjoy the pickle for a year.
- You can also add little vinegar.
- Use less hot or medium hot green chilies to make the pickle.