Cucumber Puli curry is a traditional Kerala recipe which I learnt from my husband’s grandmother after my marriage. It tastes awesome with authentic Kerala taste with coconuts and coconut oil. This is one such delicious authentic recipe from Kerala that goes well with rice.The coconut paste adds consistency to the gravy and the cucumber pieces adds substance. If you have raw mangoes you ca replace with the tamarind for the tanginess.
|Cucumber / Vellarikai||– 1 medium size peeled, deseeded & cubed|
|Ladys Finger||– 2 (cut into 1 inch pieces)|
|Chilli Powder||– 2 tsp.|
|Dhania Powder||– 2 tbsp.|
|Turmeric Powder||– 1 tsp.|
|Cumin Powder||– 1 tsp.|
|Salt||– 1 tsp. or as per your taste|
|Tamarind||– small lemon sized|
|Fresh Coconut||– ½ cup grated|
|Coconut Oil||– 1 tbsp.|
|Mustard Seeds||– 1 tsp.|
|Ured Dhal||– 1 tsp.|
|Dry Red Chilli||– 1|
- Take coconut in a mixie and make it into a fine paste and keep aside.
- Take ladysfinger and cucumber in a kadai. Add water and cook this for 10 mins till the vegetables are cooked well.
- Now add cumin seeds, chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Add tamarind water and bring this to boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Now add the ground coconut paste and mix well. Bring this to a boil. Switch off the stove,
- Make seasoning by heating oil and crackling mustard seeds, urad dal and dry red chillies. Pour this over the gravy and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice.