Ragi or finger millet is is one of the highly nutritional food. Ragi is a complete multi nutritional food supplement which is rich in fiber, protein, calcium and other minerals. Ragi contains an amino acid called Tryptophan which lowers appetite and helps in managing weight. It gets digested at a slower rate thus helps in keeping the stomach filled for long hours. Also regular consumption of finger millet is known to reduce the risk of diabetes and gastrointestinal tract disorders and these properties are attributed to its high polyphenol and dietary fiber content. It is an extremely nutritional cereal that possess an overall health.
Today I made Onion Pakodas using Ragi at home and it was a big hit.
|Ragi flour||– 1½ cups|
|Rice flour||– ½ cup|
|Onion (Big)||– 1|
|Green chillies||– 4 to 5|
|Asafoetida powder||– a pinch|
|Salt||– 1 tsp. or as needed|
|Curry leaves||– a handful|
|Oil||– for deep frying the pakodas|
- Cut onion, green chillies and curry leaves finely.
- Take the ragi flour and rice flour in a broad vessel.
- Now add the chopped onion, green chillies, curry leaves, asafoetida powder and salt and mix well.
- Heat one or two tablespoons of oil and add the hot oil in the flour and mix well.
- Mix water little by little and make a loose dough.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- When the oil heats up, put this dough little by little into hot oil and deep fry till it is crisp.
- As the colour of Ragi flour will be dark, we cannot judge whether it is fried well or not. So fry the pakodas for few minutes till sizzling sound stops.
- Remove the pakodas and fry the remaining dough by using the same procedure.
- You can garnish by adding few fried curry leaves and sliced onions.