My mother is an expert in making pickles. She almost made pickles from everything. The gooseberry pickles she made was very awesome. In our home, we always had a collection of at least 8 pickles which she made herself. I am a big fan of pickles my mother made. I learnt this Gooseberry Pickle recipe from my mother. The tanginess of gooseberry pickle tastes the best when you feel very tired in summer. This pickle is my all time favourite. I am giving the recipe of the Gooseberry pickle which my mother used to make.
|Gooseberry||– 1 Kg.|
|Chilli Powder||– 14 tsps.|
|Salt||– 14 tsps.|
|Turmeric powder||– ½ tsp.|
|Oil||– 1 cup|
|Asafoetida||– ½ tsp.|
|Mustard seeds||– 1 tsp.|
|Curry Leaves||– a handful|
|Fenugreek powder||– 2 tsps.|
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds and powder it in a mixie and keep aside.
- Wash and clean gooseberries well and steam cook for 8-10 minutes. You can keep the washed gooseberries in a vessel and keep in a pressure cooker and steam. Do not add water in the vessel containing the gooseberries. But add water I the pressure cooker.
- Do not overcook. When you press the gooseberries, it should open in segments like a flower.
- After the gooseberry cools down, press the gooseberries and discard the seeds and separate it into segments. Spread it on a plate and dry for 2 hours.
- Now heat oil, add mustard seeds.
- When they splutter, add asafoetidaand curry leaves and fry for 30 seconds.
- Now add gooseberries and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Cover it and cook for 5 – 6 minutes.
- Now add chilli powder, salt and cook for few more minutes till oil separates from the gooseberries.
- Then add the fenugreek powder, mix well and remove from the stove.
- Let the pickles cool completely.
- Store it in a sterilized, clean, dry glass bottle.
- Mix it well once in a week.