Last week, when my son came from school he was telling me that one of his friends got Bhindi masala and asked me whether I can do it and pack for lunch along with chapathis. I haven’t tried this recipe before. So I told him to wait for 2 days and I will make it. I searched through my cook books and internet for the recipe and made bhindi masala and packed for lunch. After I made I realized that it was too tasty and my son who does not like the vegetable also liked the dish. From then on I am thinking of making bhindi masala regularly.
Bhindi Masala / Okra Masala / Vendaikkai Masala
- Bhindi Vendakkai – 200 g.
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 2
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp.
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp.
- Coriander powder – 3 tsp.
- Red chili powder – 2 tsp.
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp.
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp.
- Amchur powder – ¼ tsp.
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Wash and clean the bhindi well and wipe it with a clean cloth. There should not be any moisture.
- Cut the onion and tomatoes finely and keep aside.
- Cut the ends of okra and then cut into 1 inch length pieces.
- Heat a pan with 3 tsp oil. Add the okra and sauté over low flame for 8 minutes mixing frequently with a ladle for even cooking on all sides and transfer to a plate and keep aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the same pan and add cumin seeds and let it brown.
- Now add the onions and cook for a minute.
- Add theginger garlic paste and mix well and cook till the onions turns translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, amchur powder, garam masala powder, salt and mix well till the mixture becomes dry.
- Sprinkle little water and let the masala cook over low flame till the raw smell disappears for about 3 minutes.
- Add the sautéed bhindi to the thick gravy. Mix well and let it cook for 2 more mins.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with chapathis or rotis.
- Wipe dry the okra before cooking. Otherwise the masala will become slimy.