Whenever we have leftover idlies at home, we make idli usili. This is a slight variation of idli usili. My mother used to make this and give this to us. Even those children who does not like idlies also will take this. It is also a very simple recipe to make.
|Idlies||–||7 or 8|
|Lemon||–||1 medium sized|
|Turmeric powder||–||¼ tsp.|
|Red chillies||–||3 or 4|
|Ured dhal||–||½ tsp.|
|Channa dhal||–||½ tsp.|
|Curry leaves||–||a handful|
- Crumble the idlies with hand finely and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add ured and channa dhal and fry for half a minute.
- Now add asafoetida, curry leaves and red chillies split into two and fry for a minute in low flame.
- At this time, add the crumbled idlies, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Fry well in low flame for about 5 minutes and add lemon juice and mix well.
- switch off the stove and serve lemon idly usili.