In Jackfruit season, we make delicious Chakka Varatti or Jack Fruit Halwa. Making Halwa is easy but it takes some time. We need patience.First the fruits need to be removed and deseeded. Then it is cooked and pureed and later cooked with jaggery by stirring continuously. We can spread the halwa in bread and eat like a jam.
Jack Fruit Halwa / Chakka Varatti
- Jackfruit Puree – 3 cups
- Powdered Jaggery – 3 cups
- Ghee – 1/3 cup
- Heat a heavy bottomed Kadai and add the jaggery.
- Dissolve the jaggery in about ½ cup of water.
- Remove the impurities by straining.
- Wash the kadai and pour back the jaggery syrup into the kadai.
- Let it boil on medium heat till one string consistency.
- Then add the pureed jackfruit and cook on medium heat, stirring once in a while to avoid burning.
- Cook on medium flame. Otherwise halwa will be burnt.
- Once all the moisture is absorbed and the mixture starts thickening add the ghee little by little.
- Keep stirring and cooking till the mixture leaves the sides of the kadai.
- Switch off the stove and cool naturally.
- Delicious halwa is ready to serve.