Vathal is one of the traditional Tamil nadu food item made by drying vegetables in hot sun. Bitter gourd is made into avathal by adding it to boiling water, turmeric and salt and then drying it in hot sun. After drying, we can fry it and use whenever we want.
|Bitter gourd||– 4|
|Salt||– 1 ½ tsp. or as needed|
|Turmeric powder||– 1 tsp.|
|Water||– 4 to 5 cups|
- Wash and cut the bitter gourd into thin round pieces.
- Boil water with turmeric powder and salt.
- When it boils, switch off the stove and add the cut bitter gourd and close it with a lid.
- After 5 minutes drain the water and dry the bitter gourd pieces in a tray or cloth or plastic sheet in hot sun.
- Remove them in the evening and dry till 3 or 4 days till it dries completely and becomes crisp.
- Store it in an airtight container.
- When required, take some and fry them in hot oil and serve.
- Tastes well with kuzhambu rice.
Health Benefits Of Bitter Gourd / Karela / Pavakkai | Hema's Kitchen
[…] Sun Dried Bitter Gourd / Pavakkai Vathal […]