Ingi Puli is a traditional Kerala pickle prepared during festival times. No feast is complete without Ingi Puli. The main ingredients are ginger, tamarind, jaggery and green chillies. It gets a sweet and sour taste from all these ingredients. After a heavy feast, if we have this it helps us to easily digest our food as it has ginger in it.
|Ginger||– ¼ cup ( peeled & finely chopped)|
|Tamarind||– Big gooseberry size|
|Green chilli||– 2 ( finely chopped)|
|Red chilli powder||– ½ tsp.|
|Turmeric powder||– 1/8 tsp.|
|Grated jaggery||– 3 tbsp.|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Water||– for soaking tamarind|
|Coconut oil||– 1 tsp.|
|Mustard seeds||– ½|
|Curry leaves||– few|
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup of water and remove tamarind extract and keep aside.
- Wash and peel and chop the ginger finely and set aside.
- Chop green chillies into fine pieces.
- In a pan, add coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Now add ginger, green chillies and curry leaves.
- When it turns golden brown, reduce the heat and add turmeric and chilli powder and saute for a minute.
- Now add tamarind water and salt and cook till thickens.
- Now add jaggery and mix well and dissolve it and cook till it thickens.
- Remove from heat and when cooled transfer the contents to an airtight container.
- Serve with curd rice and enjoy!