My mother used to make jams often in my home. Whichever fruit she sees it becomes jam in our home. One such jam which she used to make is tomato jam. Tomato jam is simple and easy to make. As we get tomatoes cheaper in Bangalore now, I thought of making tomato jam. It came out very well. There is no need toad any artificial colour to it as it has a good red colour naturally.
|– 1 kg.
|– 1½ cups
- Wash and clean the tomatoes and wipe it with a cloth and dry it.
- Grind tomatoes finely in a mixer and filter the juice and take. Remove the seeds and peels.
- In a pan, heat the juice till it thickens. Stir in between so that it does not burn.
- Now add the sugar and stir well.
- It will leave water when you add sugar and then it will start to become thick.
- When it comes round the pan, you can switch off the stove.
- When it becomes cool keep in a dry bottle and preserve.
- When you select tomatoes for jam, select the firm and ripe ones.
- If you want you can add 1 tsp. of lemon juice to it at the end after switching off the stove.