Puli upma is a traditional upma made by using tamarind and rice flour. This upma needs more oil for the rice flour to get cooked and it takes an hour to make normally. But the microwave version needs less oil and we can cook it in just 6 or 7 minutes. My mother used to make it in a kadai and I used to ask her to do this often as I like the tamarind taste.
|Tamarind||– 1 lime sized ball or|
|Tamarind paste||– 2 tsps.|
|Rice flour||– 1 cup|
|Water||– 1½ cups.|
|Oil||– 2 tsp.|
|Curry leaves||– 1 handful|
|Mustard||– 1 tsp.|
|Salted black chilli (mormolagai)||– 4 or|
|Red chilles||– 4|
|Salt||– as needed or 1 tsp.|
|Asafoetida||– 3 dashes|
- Soak tamarind pulp in sufficient water and squeeze out the tamarind water.
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix rice flour, salt and tamarind juice such that it forms a thick batter.
- Add oil in a kadai and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add curry leaves, asafoetida and the chillies(broken itno two) and roast well.
- Add the seasoning to the tamarind batter.
- Keep it into a microwave.
- Microwave for 6 minutes stirring every one minute.
- You will get soft upma consistency. You can adjust timing accordingly.
- Puli upma is ready to serve.
- It tastes best when it is hot.