Vattayappam is a Kerala recipe. It is a fermented Steamed Rice Cake. It is a healthy recipe with less oil. It is prepared during Christmas time. It is very soft and mild sweet dish. I have added cashew nuts and raisins. If you want you can even add cut cherries. I have use raw rice. You can also use rice flour.
I learnt this recipe from one of my neighbor in Bangalore. My family likes this dish very much and it is easy to make.
|Raw rice||– 1 cup|
|Grated coconut||– 1 cup|
|Sugar||– ¼ to ½ cup|
|Dry yeast||– 1 tsp.|
|Oil||– for greasing|
|Cashew nuts||– 10 to 15|
|Raisins||– 10 to 15|
- Soak rice in water for 3 hours.
- Grind rice along with grated coconut to a smooth batter.
- At the end add sugar and mix well.
- Add yeast in half cup of warm water and keep closed for 10 minutes.
- Now add the yeast to the ground batter and mix well.
- Close the batter with a lid and keep for 6 to 8 hours.
- Grease a large idly plate or baking dish.
- Pour the batter half full and add little cashew and raisins.
- Steam for 20 minutes in medium flame.
- You can cut into desired shape and serve.