Rava pongal is a simplest and easiest recipe. I learnt this recipe after coming to Bangalore. Once my husband came from office and told that he had rava pongal and it was tasty. I searched in some of my cook books and found the recipe and I tried. It came out very well. And from then on I make it often at home. You can have rava pongal with coconut chutney or sambar.
|Rava||– 1 cup|
|Moong dhal/ paasi paruppu||– ½ cup|
|Salt||– as needed or 1 tsp.|
|Turmeric powder||– ¼ tsp.|
|Ginger||– 1 inch piece|
|Oil or ghee||– 3 tsps.|
|Black pepper||– 1 tsp.|
|Jeera / cumin seeds||– 1 tsp.|
|Curry leaves||– a handful|
|Cashew nuts||– 10 (optional)|
- In a pan heat 1 tsp. of ghee and roast cashew nuts and keep.
- In the same pan, roast the rava till it is golden in colour and keep aside.
- Cook moong dhal in pressure cooker till 2 whistles.
- In a pan, heat oil or ghee and add cumin and pepper.
- After half a minute add curry leaves and add 2 ½ cups of water, salt, turmeric powder moong dhal and mix well.
- When it boils, add roasted rava and mix vigorously without forming lumps.
- When it becomes thick, close with a lid and keep in simmer for 5 minutes.
- Now you can switch off the stove and mix well.
- Rava pongal is ready to serve.