Lemon pickle is one of the tasty pickles of south India. It is easy to make and can be kept for years. In December and January we get nice variety of lemons which is considered to be good for making pickles. Lemon pickle goes well with curd rice.
|Ripe Lemons||– 20|
|Mustard||– 2 tsp.|
|Fenugreek seeds||– 1 tsp.|
|Red chilly powder||– 4 tbsp. (as per your spice level).|
|Turmeric powder||– ½ tsp.|
|Asafoetida powder||– ½ tsp.|
|Vinegar||– 2 tbsp.|
|Salt||– ¼ cup|
|Gingelly oil||– 2 tbsp.|
|Curry leaves||– a handful|
- Select ripe lemons and wash them thoroughly.
- Pat and dry them with cloth.
- Steam the lemons in a pressure cooker for 8-10 minutes. (Do not overcook them, then you cannot slit them).
- Switch off the flame and remove and allow it to cool.
- Dry the lemons using a clean dry cloth.
- Slit each of the lemon pieces into 4 halfway. Do not slice them fully. Add salt and mix well.
- In a pan, heat the oil and splutter the mustard seeds.
- Add the fenugreek seeds.
- Add turmeric powder and saute for a few seconds in medium flame.
- Add curry leaves and saute it.
- Lower the flame and add the chilly and asafoetida powders. Mix it well and switch off the flame.
- Add the slit lemon pieces, mix it well and carefully.
- Taste it and add extra salt if needed.
- Add the vinegar and let it cool.
- Transfer everything into a dry glass jar.
- Heat 2 tbsp of gingelly oil and allow it to cool and then pour the oil on the top of the pickle. This will prevent fungus growth and gives it an authentic taste.
- Shake the bottle well and keep daily.
- Start using the lemon pickles after 3-4 weeks.