Salt kozhukkattai or ullundu kozhukkattai is another type of kozhukkattai made in our home. For this we have to use ured dhal as a filling. I have given the recipe here.
|Ured dhal / ullundu||– ½ cup|
|Red chillies||– 2|
|Curry leaves||– 1 twig (finely chopped)|
|Oil||– 1 tbsp.|
|Asafoetida||– ¼ tsp.|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Mustard seeds||– 1 tsp.|
- Wash and soak ured dhal for ½ an hour.
- Drain well and grind coarsely by adding salt, and red chillies and asafoetida. Add less water for grinding.
- Now steam the ground mixer in an idly plate.
- Remove from the idly cooker and bring it to room temperature.
- Now again put it in a mixture grinder and just run for a minute. Or you can crumble by hand.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add the curry leaves and the ured dhal pooranam.
- Cook on a low flame stirring well for just 2 minutes.
- Remove it from the fire and bring it to room temperature.
- Now make small balls out of it. Make kozhakkattai flour and kozhakattai choppu and keep this as filling and close it and steam.
- Your salt kozhukkatai is ready.