Rice payasam is a simplest of payasams made during festive days. There are other varieties also. This is prepared using milk and rice broken in the mixer or we can also use broken rice.
|Raw Rice or Broken rice||– ½ cup|
|Milkmaid||– ½ tin|
|Sugar||– 3 tsps.|
|Water||– 1 ½ cups|
|Milk||– 2 cups|
|Ghee||– 2 tsps.|
|Cashew nuts||– 6 to 7|
|Dry grapes||– 6 to 7|
|Cardamom powder||– ¼ tsp.|
- Take raw rice in a mixer and grind for 3 to 4 seconds. Or if you have broken rice at home you can use it.
- In a pressure cooker, take water and the broken rice and pressure cook till 2 whistles.
- When it cools down, remove the whistle and mix the cooked rice so that there are no lumps.
- Now add milkmaid, sugar and milk and cook well for 5 minutes in medium flame.
- If the payasam is thick, add some more milk.
- Add cardamom powder and switch off the stove.
- In a small pan, take ghee and when it gets heated add cashew nuts and dry grapes and fry for a minute and add it to the payasam.
- Some people use basmati rice for payasam. It tastes well when you use it.
- You can also serve it in a small clay pot.