Masal vadai is a famous south Indian snack. It is spicy and crispy and tastes so good. I prepare this in rainy season often. It is made of soaked channa dal (Kadalai paruppu) with some spices.
|Bengal gram||– 1 cup|
|Green chillies||– 2|
|Sombu / Fennel seeds||– ½ tsp.|
|Ginger small piece||– 1 inch (chopped finely)|
|Curry leaves||– 1 handful|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Oil||– for deep frying|
- Soak channa dal for 3-4 hours.
- After 3-4 hours drain channa dal completely and grind little coarsely. One or two channa dal can be whole.
- The dough should be thick and not watery.
- Mix finely chopped onion, chopped green chillies, chopped ginger, fennel seeds, salt and curry leaves.
- In a deep frying pan, add the required oil and heat.
- Take a small ball of the dough and pat in hands and put them in the pan.
- Cook them till golden brown by turning in between.
- Remove from fire and serve hot with coconut chutney or sauce.