Barley is useful for lowering blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, and for promoting weight loss. It is also used for digestive complaints including diarrhea, stomach pain, and inflammatory bowel conditions. Yesterday I made pongal using barley. I am posting the recipe here.
|Barley||– 1 cup|
|Moong Dhal / Pasi Paruppu||– ½ cup|
|Pepper||– 1 tsp.|
|Cumin seeds||– 1 tsp.|
|Ginger||– 1 inch piece|
|Oil or Ghee||– ½ tbsp.|
- Cut ginger into small pieces.
- Pressure cook barley, green gram dhal, asafoetida and salt with at least 4 ½ cups of water.
- Cook up to 6 whistles. Mash well.
- In a pan, heat oil and add pepper, cumin seeds, and ginger. Fry well.
- Add this to cooked barley and green gram dhal mixture. Mix well.
- Serve hot with little ghee on top.
- It tastes well with coconut chutney