Kerala cuisine is famous for coconut. They put coconut in almost all the food items. I learnt this tomato chutney from my husband’s grandmother. It is a simple and tasty chutney.
|Big Onion||– 1|
|Red chillies||– 2 to 3|
|Grated coconut||– ¼ cup.|
|Tamarind||– a small piece|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Coconut oil||– 3 tsp.|
|Mustard||– 1 tsp.|
|Ured dhal||– 1 tsp.|
|Channa dhal||– 1 tsp.|
- Cut onions and tomatoes into big pieces.
- In a pan, heat 1 tsp. of oil and add red chllies and fry for half a minute.
- Now add onions and fry till it becomes transparent.
- Add the chopped tomates and tamarind and fry till it turns mushy.
- Switch off the stove and let it cool.
- Grind the above with salt and grated fresh coconut.
- In a pan, heat oil and splutter mustard, ured and channa dhal.
- Add 1 red chiily and add this to the tomato chutney.