This is a very simple and easy to make breakfast. There are lot of varieties of upma. This can be eaten without any accompaniment. I usually use Anil Roasted semia as there is no need to roast. If you do not get roasted semia, roast the semia in 1 tsp. of oil till golden brown and then prepare like the given method.
|Anil semia||– 2 cups|
|Green chillies||– 2 (Cut into long pieces)|
|Big onion||– 1 (Cut into small pieces)|
|Tomato||– 1 (Cut finely)|
|Water||– 2 cups|
|Salt||– as needed|
|Oil||– 2 tsp.|
|Mustard||– 1 tsp.|
|Ured dhal||– 1 tsp.|
|Gram dhal||– 1 tsp.|
|Curry leaves||– handful|
- In a pan, take oil and season with mustard, ured and gram dhal.
- Add curry leaves and fry for ½ a minute.
- Now add green chillies and fry for a minute.
- Add onions and fry till it becomes transparent.
- Add tomato and fry till it becomes mushy.
- Add water and salt and allow it to boil.
- When it starts boiling, add the semia and mix well till water gets absorbed.
- Keep closed in simmer for 2 minutes and switch off the stove.